Sunday, April 5, 2009

Big Blobs Close to Home

We went for a quick walk after dinner tonight. The sun had just set and it was that time of day when everything looks flat in the dim light.

We were chatting about how quiet the sea wall was. There was no wind, the water was calm, you don't get that 'hum' that you hear on a quiet day on the Vancouver False Creek sea wall.

We rounded a corner, and if it wasn't for the DFO sign that was posted on the fence we would never have seen her on the beach*....




A single elephant seal, hanging out....moulting away. She did a perfect Locust Pose...


...turned and glanced at us, gave a huge snort and rolled over on her other side.
She's super close to our apartment, so seeing her out there blew my mind. I guess this is what living on an island is all about?!


*Obviously this isn't my photo.

2 comments:

rawbean said...

That is soooo cool.

Benjamin Madison said...

Hope it's there this afternoon - I'm on it. I saw three harbour seals cruising the Gorge this morning....