This year we got up early and went down half an hour before the doors opened. Click on the picture below to see what the line up was like. It started at the door, went halfway around the block, and through the parking lot almost back to the beginning. This made Brad super grouchy. He said he didn't think it was worth it, but I didn't let him get me down! Twenty minutes after they opened the doors, we were IN.
Once inside - total madness. But organized madness of course because we are all civilized readers.
The people in the bright orange shirts were the volunteers. Once books were picked out they walked around with more boxes of books and filled in the holes. (The tables were covered, and there were more books in boxes stacked underneath all the tables. Ohmigod.)I brought one big tote bag and thought I might fill it. Brad on the other hand stuffed a plastic grocery bag into his jeans pocket at the last minute on the way out the door. What the hell is wrong with us?! (Remember pocketbooks are one dollar. Trade paperbacks two dollars. Two. Dollars.)
When I saw Brad (the guy who has spent two hours in a book store and not found a single thing he wants to read) walk across the room holding about 8 books in his arm I knew we were in trouble. I think you can imagine what I was attempting to carry at that point.
After two hours of book hunting, carting around my completely overflowing bag, the plastic grocery bag that was threatening to rip apart at the seams, and another entire box of books, lots of callouses on my hands and a couple broken finger nails - we cashed out.
This is what we ended up with between the two of us.
This might put it in better perspective.
This makes me so excited! I love books, I love reading! In the picture below are the books I bought separated from the ones I bought that I've read already (and loved so much I had to own them) and the books Brad bought - some of which I will read for sure (Agatha Christie!) and some of which I will never read (Building a Champion).So now the big question for you guys:
How do I choose which one to read first?! Any recommendations?!
6 comments:
That's a crazy amount of books!
As for picking one to read. I would just close my eyes and reach into the pile and pluck one out. Nothing like going completely random.
Looks like a fun time though. I love books.
I'm so jealous! And hello, you are totally going to beat me in the book count for this year. Sigh....
How much did it all come to? Or maybe I should ask, what is the average price of a book?
Wow that's crazy! Good for you guys! I can't wait to get my head back in books... Miss "J" is a lot of work these days and i barely get any time for a shower.
We have to get together Jabba, i'm living back on the island now!
Hugs
I second the random-book-choosing vote. Just close your eyes and pick one!
I'm reading an excellent book right now-- 'Five Quarters of the Orange' by Joanne Harris. When you've finished reading your 50+ new books, you should check it out! :)
galapagos - You know what? I had that though. But I know that I'll pick a book, and wish I had picked another one....and pick another one and wish I had picked another one and it will go on and on.
Rawbean - Yeah, $95. Which considering the price of a new paperback these days ($16-$20) is a good deal!
Sassy S - Yes, we should get together! It's been forever!
Dana - That book is in the pile!! ha!ha!
Word!!
Tag all not tagged.
A.
Post a Comment