Thursday, August 21, 2014

Prepared. Sorta.

I've spent some time lately running around getting prepared for my big day. Keeping busy helps shut my brain up when it wants to torture me. Two weeks to go.

Appointments with GP and surgeon (next week is my last orthodontist visit), bloodwork, stop at the drug store to fill a whole bunch of prescriptions - to name a few of my chores. This week my surgeon gave me a cheery party bag full of stuff I'll need when I'm recovering.


I have a notebook for when I won't be able to talk - I treated myself to one from Regional Assembly of Text. I have medicated lip balm, ice packs, ear plugs for the hospital, tons of dental wax...the list goes on. 

I was rummaging through everything my surgeon gave me - ice packs, jaw bra*, mouth rinse etc. I'll be eating strictly liquids from a syringe for the first few weeks. So he gave me a syringe and included a clear plastic tube that I can attach to it - kind of like a long straw.**

I did a double take when I noticed this on the sealed bag the tube is in:


It's a rectal tube?! There is even a small package of lubricant in there with it! 

Seriously?



*Who comes up with these names?
**No sucking from straws allowed for a long time. I think it will be more like an IV drip.

3 comments:

Christielli said...

Good work using this surgery as an excuse to buy an awesome notebook. That's my definition of finding a silver lining.

Yah, I could see the need for keeping busy to keep your mind off of this. I'll have my fingers crossed for you before, during, and after the surgery.

Also, I need to catch up on your cottage adventures, but I must go pick up Miss Rilo from my parents!

rawbean said...

So no gin in the syringe? I think it's worth it, but a few weeks is a long time! You'll do great.

Dana said...

Ah, rectal tube! Sounds cheery indeed. ;)