My skin can't take it. I can't take it. (Sorry guys, this will be one of those posts. )
I've been waxing my legs for ten years now and for me, it's the only way to go. I found the most fabulous place in Vancouver and went there for years and became quite close with the owner. It was called Sanctuary Spa at the time but she has moved into a new space and is now Breathe Spa. Boy, was I ever spoiled.....
So, I've been looking for a good spa in Victoria for getting my legs waxed. I was referred to this place downtown that is run by a bunch of women and sounded great so I booked an appointment. The girl was really friendly which is super important but there were a few things that made me laugh:
1. Too much wax
When she's pulling the strips off my legs, she has to pull them towards me. But she puts so much wax on my legs that small bits of wax are flinging off the strips onto my sweater.
2. Decor (it's important!)
The building they are in is heritage and they haven't spent a lot of money on decor. They've tried though - which scores at least a few points. They just hung up lots of fabric on the walls and covered the ceiling with more drapey fabric.
Also on this note, she didn't keep her equipment very clean and organized. It was sort of thrown on this crappy shelf in the corner of the room....just not what I'm used to. The room we were in was also so small she couldn't even walk around the table.
3. We're all modest
The towel she gave me was the size of a hand towel. Seriously? I'm getting a half leg wax - could I have something a little bigger? And the best of all......
4. Where the hell are my pants?!
When I got there she gave me a basket and asked me to put my pants and my purse and stuff inside it. When she came back into the room I must have glanced away and didn't see where she put the basket. I didn't realize this until after she was done and left the room to let me change.
I'm standing in the middle of this tiny room with my socks on looking everywhere for the basket with my pants! I seriously couldn't find it. I started pulling the curtains back to check and was confronted with grimy walls, and lots of bookcases with TONS OF CRAP all over....but no pants. I finally found them underneath the table I was lying on.So I'm probably going to go back once more and give her another shot but seriously....I'm super close to forking out $50 for a better experience in one of the more upscale spas here.
4 comments:
OH MY GOD! That is so hilarious. Yeah shaving does suck. I still do it though, but should go over to waxing. It's such a slippery slope, you could get SO MUCH waxed....ugh.
I need an eyebrow wax right now. Like bad. This weekend maybe.
OK: I can't do shaving, either. My legs break out in nasty hives and skin burn if a razor comes even CLOSE to them. So I wax. (I am so precious sometimes, it kills me.)
I get my legs waxed at a 'salon' near the Uptown that is owned and run by an Indian woman and her sister. I was used to more 'upscale' experiences in Calgary, too, and this place is more, um, *efficient*. There is no room (or time) for modesty here. Seriously. The first time I went there, it was for a full leg and bikini wax, and it was just like 'strip!' You do get a full towel to drape over your lady parts, but that towel is pretty much whipped off and thrown in the corner as soon as the waxing starts, leaving your bottom half lying naked and awkward on the table. Yes. This lady means BUSINESS. (As I like to say, she doesn't beat around the bush. At all.) Anyway, I left the salon that first time feeling like I had been more adventurous in that little room with my wax-lady than I had ever been in the bedroom with M. *blush*. I'm used to it now, though. I get my eyebrows threaded and my legs waxed there- no frills, no gimmicks! :)
Secretly, I don't feel like I can try going anywhere else now for waxing. I love the way they do eyebrows at the salon, and I think it would be very weird (after years of coming for waxing, too) to suddenly just get my eyebrows done. The waxing isn't my favourite (a bit too determined?), but I think I'm in it for the long haul now.
Wow, sorry for the book! You can tell you touched on a very important topic for me... :)
LOL about not being able to find your pants! That's funny.
I had my eyebrows waxed at a new place last week and the got irritated and were really red when I left. I've never had that happen before... I don't think.
Hope your next time is better so you don't have to start forking out a lot of cash.
I really really hate shaving. Mostly because I'm just terribly lazy. How long does the waxing last?
Post a Comment