Woah. How did that happen? Time flies when you...aren't busy and nothing is going on??? I'm going to get back into this. Here is a great way to start - another book post!
The Last Spike - Pierre Berton
I think every Canadian should read this. It's hard to imagine how they actually achieved the railroad in the late 1800's. After our train trip this year - it's even more admirable. Pierre Berton writes in an easy way - like my dad says 'the way he writes is like a conversation.' More of his books are in my future for sure.
The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency - Alexander McCall Smith
What a lovely book. Perfect summer reading - or reading at the cabin which I did this summer when we went to our favourite cabin on Mayne Island. Found it on the shelf and read it over the weekend.
The Girls - Lori Lansens
Christielli recommended this one when she visited this summer. It was a wonderful read. Hard to imagine the lives these women lead, and heartwarming to know the love and kindness of the couple that adopted and raised them.
Far from the Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
Ah, Thomas Hardy. I threw one of these in the mix because I had an itch for some devastation. I've read this before and it's fantastic. With a Hardy-style "happy ending" it delivers. Man, I love his writing. The. Best. Ever.
The Pact - Jodi Picoult
This was recommended by one friend and shunned by two others so I had to try her out. It was a page turner for sure. The story was definitely interesting. But it was frustrating throughout that the parents didn't take this kid aside and get the truth out of him - it was too unbelievable. At least in my world? The ending was also a little convenient and true to life. I'll give her another chance though.
The House of Velvet and Glass - Katherine Howe
Fantastic read. With an interesting twist. Great characters and the lure of Titanic makes it that much better. I would recommend for sure.
I've decided not to do a book challenge next year. I know, right? But I find that there are a few books I've avoided because they are either massive or classics and I fear I'm compromising my book challenge....not a way for an avid reader to be.
I hope everyone is well, I'm back baby! Happy Saturday!






3 comments:
Welcome back! We missed you!
I'm glad that you enjoyed the Girls. I think it's a great book.
You are too kind to give Ms. Piccoult another shot. I hated the Pact, as you know. She did not write teenagers realistically at all. You should read "My Sister's Keeper" because I'm sure that book will sufficiently piss you off, as it did me, and then you'll give up on her.
Of your books, I think the Katherine Howe looks like something I'm drawn to. I'll have to look out for it.
I read the first 5 or so #1 Ladies books. My dad's a big fan too.
I still gotta give Tess of the D'Ubervilles a shot. I have to read 5 more books this year to make my reading challenge, so I think it'll be a 2013 read 'cuz I need easy reads!
Wow, I am feeling like an illiterate right now as I have several books started and not much finished in the last (gulp) year. I used to read like it was water or breath and suddenly got very busy… I blame university. lol. So sad… especially considering how many books I buy…
I should start a reading challenge for next year. I'll make a list. And Christelli's goal has been sitting on my shelf for over a year, simply waiting for me to pick it up. So sad. Sigh. Wipes tear. Chuckles. Sighs again.
It looks like you had a pretty decent crop of books to read in this go-round. I still can't believe how many you read in a year-- so impressive!
Glad to have you back. I was worried that the drilling finally did you in. :P
Post a Comment