Monday, September 6, 2010

More Sailing

We went sailing again! Same place - Portland Island which is one of my favourite places. We arrived, anchored and had lunch - here is a picture!


Then we set up the tent where Brad and I camped. The exact same spot as last time!

We hung out on the boat and played
Killer Bunnies until it was dark, so that meant another scary walk through the forest to our tent. So we're walking along, I'm feeling nervous but not too bad and I'm negotiating myself down a little hilly section and *click*.....

Mother f*#!er!!!!


My Maglite bulb burned out again.
*

Which meant that at our stop at the outhouse I had to wait in the dark again. It was partly cloudy this time though so the UFOs couldn't get a good beam on me. To distract myself I looked straight up at the stars through a super narrow opening in the trees and saw a satellite! What are the chances?!

That night I woke up to a scratching sound on the side of the tent. In my sleepy state I thought "Stop it Ziggy!" but then realized....it wasn't Ziggy. I laid in the tent wide eyed....(there are no bears on the island so I wasn't scared)....then saw a little mouse-shaped shadow scurry off the top of the tent, slide down the front and run off...

There were also the usual noises - seals slapping and splashing, raccoons coo-ing, herons making dinosaur noises, then seriously annoying people up at 6:30am not making a single attempt to be quiet. I guess we're all on their schedule.


We sat around in the sun and read (me: David Sedaris, Brad - The History of Cuba, C. - The Old Curiosity Shop - Dickens), napped on the boat, had dinner (veggie stir fry) and had tons of laughs.


*This is interesting since last time the bulb died I was using Brad's Maglite, this time I was using my own.

7 comments:

Robin said...

Sounds like a fun weekend!

rawbean said...

Maybe you have some kind of weird energy that drains batteries??

Glad you had fun!! It was nice all weekend except today and could be rainy for awhile so good thing you guys went!

even pretty girls need to read said...

I don't care if it was something small, nothing should scratch your tent in the night!

Christielli said...

Haha, I like rawbean's energy-draining hypothesis.

I am so intrigued by that Killer Bunnies game.

I am envious of your outdoorsy weekend. I think that camping trip I went on made me more outdoorsy!

galapogos said...

I'm not sure what the Killer Bunnies game is, but does it have anything to do with all the bunnies at the U of Vic?

I'm in agreement with the energy-draining hypothesis discussed above.

Dana said...

So jealous of your awesome weekend!! And yes, anything scratching your tent at night is bad news. Petrifying, actually.

Nomadic Chick said...

I agree with Rawbean, some weird energy, like the bird pooping problem?

Sounds like a fab weekend, gal. And I loved Killer Bunnies, was so fun playing that.

I just finished reading One Day - very Nick Hornby, had me laughing to no one. I owe you a letter!