So what do we decide to do on the first weekend of the no sugar challenge?
Make home made Kahlua!

I've done this before (it's super easy), and.....screwed it up. I think I added the vodka first and the entire mixture turned into this giant sugary ball. I was freaking out but eventually it worked out....I think.
So this time Brad insisted that he be the captain and I was the assistant. Here is the recipe:
1 26oz. bottle vodka
6 tbsp. instant coffee
6 tbsp. vanilla
2 tsp. glycerin*
2 cups water
3 3/4 cups white sugar
In a large pot, boil the water and sugar together for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and add (in this order) instant coffee dissolved in 1/4 cup of boiling water, vanilla, glycerin and vodka. Let cool and funnel into bottles.
And here is what you end up with:
Almost two 26 ounce bottles of Kahlua! Check the sugar content though - 3 3/4 cups?!*You can get this at the pharmacy. It says 'for external use only' on our bottle but the pharmacist told us that if our recipe is from Europe they are way more relaxed over there than we are in North America so just use it.
6 comments:
Wow! Who knew there was so much sugar in Kahlua? Hope you enjoy it.
I also find your * point very informative. Crazy paranoid North Americans!
I love how you started this out by saying how you are cutting back on sugar and than VOILA....sugar city!
Haha oo funny - sounds amazing though. I must try!
That looks like something I'm going to have to try. And I just so happy to have a bottle of glycerin.... Lol! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
PS - I don't have any way to reply to your comments on my blog since it comes up as "noreply@blogger.com". :-( But I do love them - they are so thoughtful and always make me smile.
I love sugar so much! I could never go without it, its probably my one addiction. Those drinks look delicious, now I want one.
I LOVE Kahlua! What girl doesn't? And can't believe you're reading Guns Germs & Steel. Such a good damn book. :)
Ohhhhh, so THAT'S why you were wondering if alcohol was allowed on the plan! ;)
I had no idea you were going to make Kahlua. Such a smart (and sneaky!) way to dodge the elimination rules... haha!
Post a Comment