Friday, October 24, 2008

Home Office

So, as most of you know when I moved over to Victoria my old company wanted to keep me on, so I've been working from home for the last two months. When I started I was super excited and so glad for the opportunity. There are a lot of great things about working from home and some not-so-great things I never would have thought of. Here is a summary.

Good Things

  • I have my own private bathroom and I don't even have to close the door!
  • I can work in my pajamas, although I tried this ONCE and it didn't work out. I lasted about an hour before I realized that all the flannelette was distracting me.
  • I have my own coffee supply. I never go to get a cup of coffee and some jackass has taken the last and not made more.
  • My fridge isn't full of 100 lunches, some of which have been there since last spring.
  • The commute.
  • I can take a break and have a nap. Make up the time later.
  • I don't have to put up with annoying/smelly/irritating work mates.
Bad Things
  • I'm super lonely.
  • Cabin fever sets in quickly.
  • It's hard to stay motivated to work sometimes because it's so quiet here. I tend to work harder when there is chaos around me. I'm a huge fan of open concept offices.
  • It's easier to slack off and check personal email, blogs or download stuff off Itunes with nobody to see me. Disclipline people, discipline. *
  • People in the office tend to forget about me, so if I need more work I really have to get in their faces on email.
Overall, it's been a great experience and I would recommend that anyone try it out if they have the opportunity. But I'm looking forward to getting out there and meeting new people in the design community here.

I wonder what the sales reps are like? I bet you there aren't any like that guy that Rawbean had to put up with about a month ago. Since the island is so much more relaxed, does that mean the deadlines are more reasonable?

I can't wait to find out.



*Oh shut up, I KNOW I should be working right now.

3 comments:

rawbean said...

haha! what guy? I totally don't know what guy you are referring to.

Invisible G. said...

Funny, the only people I complain about are internal people. I'm not a team player.

I hear you about the sharing bathroom thing..totally.

Big Ben said...

I've worked at home a couple days and I tend to slack more than at the office. I don't know if I could do it full time.