You know when you are in the check out at the grocery store and the person behind you doesn't observe "Grocery Store Check Out Etiquette"? Isn't it annoying? Below I'm going to outline what I consider proper Check Out Etiquette:
1. When the person who is paying is unloading their stuff, back off.
Today I was in the process of unloading things from my basket and this woman approached behind me and promptly put her two items on the metal part of the check out that doesn't slide. This is pushy and inconsiderate. What if I wanted to take my purse off my shoulder and put it there while I'm unloading my stuff?
I'm using the conveyer belt, wait until I'm finished unloading my stuff before you start putting your stuff down - even if it's on the part at the end that doesn't move. Honestly, I think she could have held on to her Cheetos and Mountain Dew for a few moments more.
2. Stay at least three feet back from someone who is in the act of paying.
So brutal when you're typing in your PIN and the person behind you in line is standing RIGHT next to you. What's the deal with this? Relax, and step back.
3. When the person is finished paying, give them a moment to gather their heavy bags before you step up to the little counter.
Yes, this same woman broke all my rules in one encounter.
She nearly shoved me aside to get at the counter - I had just been handed my receipt! Could I please be allowed 10 seconds to put the receipt in my wallet, put my purse on my shoulder and pick up my groceries before you bumble into my personal space yet again?
4. A simple "Excuse Me" would be great.
I was following an elderly guy out of the store - yes, he was walking slow. I sympathize, I was quietly walking behind him. The woman barreled up behind me and rudely stated "Can I get by?".
She rushed past me, scratched my leg with her sharp Cheetos bag and shoved her way past the old guy out the door.
Is Raphael Nadal outside? Is it raining chocolate? Is there some fabulous reason that we have to get out of the store as fast as possible?
Good God.
4 comments:
Haha-- I actually just saw a stand up thing on TV where this guy talked about purposely violating the unspoken Grocery Shopping Code of Ethics. He deliberately puts his groceries close to the person's groceries in front of him, WITHOUT using the little plastic divider thing! Chaos ensues. :)
Personally: it annoys me when cashiers start ringing through the next person's groceries when I'm not even finished packing up my own groceries yet. I know that they want to get people through as quickly as possible, but come on-- give me ONE SECOND to herd all of my groceries together so they don't end up in somebody else's bag! Safeway is horrible for this. (HORRIBLE!!!)
Haha this is one of your best posts yet! You're hilarious!!
Yes...people like this suck huge amounts of ass. Superstore is the worst for bad etiquette! That's why I shop at Save on Foods.
This is awesome! Jabba's first "in the moment" rant. That woman bought Cheetos and Mountain Dew, she probably had the DT's for sugar and rushed past you so she could tear open the bag alone in her car to gorge. Dude, I've seen someone do that!
This was a great read. Here in the Vag we don't get much of a chance for anything but big box grocery stores and I experience this all the time..... on a side note, how did you get your comments to open in a separate window? This is slick!
Post a Comment