Sunday, November 16, 2014

Interstallar

Last night we decided to go see Interstellar. I love space movies but I'm almost always disappointed. I hate to say it but.....sigh......read this because he's way more elegant than I am and I agree with everything he says.

I've ranted about Hollywood movies on this blog...a few times. (The last space movie we saw was Gravity which I will admit was fantastic.)

- Spoiler Alert - if you care -

I have a million issues with this movie. I rolled my eyes in annoyance* when Cooper stumbles on the secret NASA hiding spot and 20 minutes later they're asking him to pilot the mission to save the world. How convenient.

This same guy is so qualified that he needs an explanation of what a wormhole is 5 minutes before they head into one.

Oh! When Murphy realizes it's her dad that was the ghost. She must have thought to herself, "Oh, of course (forehead smack) he must have gone into a black hole, traveled into the past and is now pushing books off the shelf. DUH. Why didn't I figure that out before?!"

I also loved the "logic" with the entire Matt Damon scene. If he wanted to get off the planet, why didn't he just ask if he could hitch a ride? Why did he have to go on a rampage? It was so obviously done for dramatic effect and added nothing to the overall story.

I'm so tired of formulated, loud, boring, over done movies with weak characters and plot. The women in this movie were absolutely ludicrous. I'm surprised any of these actors showed up, but I guess when you're making millions it's not a matter of accepting quality roles any longer.


I go to movies for the same reason everyone else does - to be entertained. I can let small things go for the sake of entertainment, I really can! Like 1000m high tidal waves in half a metre of water. Or an out of practice pilot docking an out of control spinning spaceship on to a partially destroyed space station.**

I just don't get why the science alone can't be interesting enough. Why does Hollywood always tie everything up in a pretty bow? God forbid they present us with a movie that makes us think for ourselves like 2001 did.

There have been a lot of comparisons between this movie and 2001. This makes me shudder with revulsion and also makes me realize why we never go to movies anymore.


* For the first of many, many times during the movie.
** "It's not possible, it's necessary." Ugh, spare me Hollywood. Not to mention they likely never would have been able to pilot the ship that precisely at those G forces.

2 comments:

Christielli said...

Too bad it didn't live up to your expectations. :(

Dana said...

I couldn't read the spoilers, because this movie is coming to the cheap theater in Tucson ($1.50-- woot!), and even if it sucks, we're totally going to see it. We see *everything* that comes to the cheap theater here, so we've seen A LOT of stinkers (mixed in with some decent movies as well-- I really enjoyed Gone Girl, for example.)

Anyway... on to the next post!