Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Book Review #19

I'm kinda sorta catching up to what I'm reading now with my reviews! I'm only about six months behind now. Heh.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - Rachel Joyce


A really sweet read, worth it. Great for the beach or if you need a pick me up. I fell in love with the main character!

Trust your Eyes - Linwood Barclay


I borrowed this from a workmate - something he picked up in an airport after realizing he forgot his book. His comments "Yeah...I read it."

Ditto.

Fatherland - Robert Harris
 

Brad recommended this one and it's amazing. Murder mystery with a really crazy, interesting twist. Page turning adventures near the end too, and I'm not normally into 'car chase' kind of page turning.

Deep Storm - Lincoln Child


Brad and I have recently compiled a list of page turners. Summer reads. You know, when you just want to get lost in a book but you don't want a heavy topic. Lincoln Child DELIVERS with this book. I like mystery combined with science and he does his research. Not quite as good as Ice Limit (remember?) but worth reading for sure.

Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon


One of the best books I read in 2013, hands down. The writing is great, the story is fantastic - it involves a secret library!! So good in fact that I kept it in my library - which doesn't happen often.

Sarah's Key - Tatiana De Rosnay


This book was great and surprised me because somehow it was less heavy than I thought it would be - especially considering the subject matter.Worth the read for sure.

Tell me what you're reading this summer. Do you go for fluff in the summer more often? Why do we do this?

1 comment:

Christielli said...

1) I am reading Rachel Joyce's latest, and it's also quite pleasant.

2) I've read other Linwood Barclay novels, and I agree with the assessment "Yah.... I read it." Barclay used to be a columnist for the Toronto Star, and that's why I picked up his work, but it's all pretty meh. Wish he'd go back to his column.

3) Sarah's Key was great. There's a movie that's decent. I saw it one year at TIFF.