My name is Jabba and I have a problem.
We have an entire bookcase devoted to books we own but haven't read yet. This thing is double stacked people. Double. Stacked.
Today I decided to go through my pile for real. Once everything is out of the bookcase it really puts it into perspective......
Don't get me wrong.....I'm not complaining. Being at the bottom of a mountain of unread books? This is cause for joy in my world. Sometimes it's a little daunting though....see that thing at the top? That's my Kobo. It has an additional 15 books on it I haven't read yet.
I watched a documentary the other night and part of it alarmed me. Carl Sagan said that if you read one book a week for your entire life you would read around 1000 books. One thousand?! That's NOTHING!!!
So I've donated 5 books from the year of madness and am planning to be more selective in the future.
I blame Russel's which is the best bookstore I've had the pleasure of shopping at. I would also like to blame my family who know me so well and give me Kobo gift cards.....which are one of my favourite things!!! Yay!!
Plus the book sale is coming....
(hyperventilating ensues)
I need your help. I'm going to show you "the books." What should I read first? What do you recommend? Should I get rid of anything cause it's too hyped up? Let's start with my Kobo:
Oh such anticipation! Diane Settererfield?! Good mysteries and suspense in there too.....
Here's the 'real pile'. The stack of pleasure and potential....so much good stuff.
There is only 1 book left over from the year of madness.
Maeve Binchy for beach reading, some classics I've always wanted to read, some award winners, short stories, non-fiction, questionable authors who I'm giving another chance, recommendations from others....oh it goes on and on.

2 comments:
House Girl and Over Easy!
Holy moly that's a lot of books. I have a stack on the back of my bed/shelf thing that I'm planning to read. They are all logged in Good Reads which I love thanks to you and Christielli.
I'm on book 6....for 2014.
I have the same problem, except my books have zero overlap with yours. I'm a total non-fiction, self-help nerd and I rarely (if ever!) read fiction. (Still haven't figured out why.) Anyway. I can't believe a lifetime of reading would only equal 1000 books. That number seems so small!
Post a Comment