Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Mayne Island

We went on an island getaway last weekend. We booked into this cabin last year but had to cancel at the last minute. So we finally went, and it was totally worth the wait.

We had to take two ferries to get to Mayne Island so it was really quiet. Just perfect.


The cabin itself was amazing. Kate, the owner has thought of everything. You could move into this place with nothing and have everything you need. Complete with a great selection of books and music.

(The first CD we played was Mule Variations. Anyone who has Tom Waits in their collection earns bonus points in my books.)

 


Kate has two basset hounds, they came to visit on Saturday morning and were super friendly. I can't handle this photo of them waddling away from me.


One of my favourite things about the trip were the evening sounds. While we sat in the hot tub all we could hear was a constant chorus of frogs.

(On Friday night there were also werewolf noises, but I held it together.)

We explored the island a little bit on Saturday, then went back to the cabin and made pasta and drank wine that we brought back from Italy.


I want to go back next summer for a week. She is totally cool with us bringing The Bad Room Mate so it could work out.

5 comments:

rawbean said...

Oh wow that sounds amazing! I went there last summer and had a lot of fun! Love the dogs!!!

CitricSugar said...

Uh, jealous! How awesome. I'd live there if I could afford it... I need to spend more time out west.

Christielli said...

Sounds great! Def do the week with the Bad Room Mate! This makes me think I need a weekend away from the city.

Nomadic Chick said...

I took a trip to Mayne Island a few years ago and always remember how pretty it was. We camped at this campground that had an OUTDOOR shower! Built in a tree - best shower I ever had.

The dogs are adorable. :)

Dana said...

Hey, we almost stayed there last year! That cabin looks and sounds amazing. Any retreat away from the ordinary is AOK in my books! :) (And yes, bonus points for Tom Waits. It would have been a major bummer if the CD collection was chock full of sugary pop music...)