Monday, May 31, 2010

AutoCAD Sucks

At work, I sit at my desk and draw all day. No, I'm serious - that's my job! I work in architecture/interior design. It's a sweet job and I love it.

There is new and exciting software that is taking over computer drafting. AutoCAD is the old dinosaur and Revit is the new sweetness. I've been using Revit for more than three years now. If it's possible that a person can develop a crush on a computer program, I've got one.


When you draw in Revit everything is in 3D. If you draw a "wall" - well, it's a WALL!! It will draw a wall that is made out of 2 1/2" steel studs and it has drywall on both sides and is 2 metres high...etc. When you draw a (so-called) "wall" in AutoCAD it's literally a 2D line that means nothing, a stick.....well, okay it's like this:Recently at work I had to work on a project in AutoCAD. For the first time in nearly three years. I was pretty shell shocked: "What do you mean? I have to draw elevations from scratch?? I can't just push a button and they appear? I have to cross reference drawings manually?! It's not done automatically?! We can't both be in one file at the same time? I can't work in these conditions!!"

Seriously, if I had a swear jar....

I got through it, but it made me completely miserable. Then I remembered a Shaw commercial that totally reminded me of my situation. Watch it. DO. IT. (It's only 30 seconds!!)



Okay, the kid at the beginning represents me using AutoCAD - the bolts are falling off the bike and the lady in the walker is moving faster than I am. The kid at the end is me using Revit - I have to put on my safety goggles before I fire up the program.

Seriously, it's the perfect analogy.

6 comments:

rawbean said...

Oh my god this post is epic. And this is why:

1. Look how your font went little at the end - sooo adorable.

2. I know how long you've wanted to post that video and finally FINALLY you found it online.

3. Remember when I first started at your old job and I was all whiney about Autocad because I had been using Arch Desktop....now you know what the hell I was going through.

4. I too love Revit EXCEPT today. I should have called you. I had an SK sheet that I was cropping part of a plan on, but I could get the grid lines to fit within the sheet, they were xref'd in from another Revit file. I needed to move them over like half an inch and couldn't do it. EVEN DFB didn't know what to do. Would you have known??

galapogos said...

ha ha, I've seen that commercial lots, its pretty good. Its not as good as the "Laser Sword" commercial on tv recently, that one is awesome!

Enjoy your drawing!

Nayway said...

I'm turning into such a Luddite. I swear, I get worse and worse at AutoCAD every year and I don't know Revit. Good on you for enjoying the program.

Nomadic Chick said...

It always makes me laugh how you turned around on Revit. Just like Brad and iTunes. Classic!

Christielli said...

That commercial was perfectly illustrative of your problem. It's super cute too!

Roan said...

This is exactly how I feel; especially today.

Our company wants to export from Revit to DWG and have the DWG conform to our ridiculous DWG standards. Well it's like asking the fast kid to slow down for the old lady. C'mon now; would you ask the old lady to keep up with the fast kid? Its not PC. Its a double standard. Its CADist (like sexist, racist, etc...).

Like you I also have a "crush" on Revit; and am upset because it's intelligence will be insulted.