Monday, January 11, 2010

Gas Leak

5:55 am (alarm goes off)
Radio: ....commuters will want to know the Bay Street Bridge is closed to all vehicle traffic today. The Johnson Street bridge will be busy with all that traffic re-located......now on to weather....

6:20 am
I climb out of bed and stumble into the shower.

7:25am
As I'm parking the car, I see firetrucks and firemen blocking the street. Since this street leads to the Bay Street bridge I assume they are turning cars away and directing traffic. But at the same time I'm hearing on the radio:
.....no boat traffic is allowed underneath the bridge and no floatplanes allowed to fly over the bridge. No evacuations yet though! Now on to ferry schedules.....

7:30am
I approach the intersection with the firemen which is completely blocked off. There is even caution tape up over the sidewalks.

Jabba: "Oh! So the area is closed off to the public all together?"

Super Cute Fireman: "Yup! we've been here since last night at 10pm. The whole area will be closed until at least 11am this morning."

Jabba, turning on my heel: "Sweet! Only half a day work for me!"

8:50am
I'm lying in bed listening to CBC Radio tell me that indeed the bridge is closed to all vehicle traffic, boats and planes and there have been no evacuations. This report was repeated twice between now and 9:30am when we* decided to switch to the other local news station where they finally bother to mention:
.....oh and by the way the local businesses in the area are closed off as well, you can't get anywhere near it......

Thanks CBC, normally I love you but damn!! The firemen were out there all night, the area had been closed off all night. And by 6:00am you still haven't been clear. Yes, you can't drive over the bridge much less get anywhere near the area?!?

I could have had the luxury of shutting off the alarm and rolling over to go back to sleep on a Monday morning but I missed out.



*Brad is off work today too, government job.

4 comments:

Dana said...

And yet, here I am at work today. We're nowhere near the gas leak, but for once, I wish we were!

Invisible G. said...

Poor Dana. She got the short end. :)

rawbean said...

That is so crazy but so sweet that you got the day off. What a treat!

Dana said...

@ Invisible G: I TOTALLY got the short end! :( And we're busy doing year end reporting for our auditors right now, which makes it even worse!

Jabba: I hope you enjoyed your day off. :P Hopefully everything is back to normal and you won't have to miss anymore work! Haha.