Thursday, July 30, 2009

First lines

After finishing The Thirteenth Tale, and heaving back into my comfy chair with a satisfied grin on my face....I've been thinking about what to read next. It has to be something good, after a book like that.

In The Thirteenth Tale, the books Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights are mentioned a lot. I've read Jane Eyre and I own Wuthering Heights but haven't read it yet, so that is the book that I've chosen.

The first line "1801 - I have just returned from a visit to my landlord - the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with." Oooohh. Tell. Me. More.

I love the first sentence in books, don't you? When I look at a new book, I always turn to the first page to read the first sentence. Sometimes it's disappointing, sometimes it's neutral and sometimes it just pulls you in right away. Here are some random sentences from some of my favourite books on my bookshelf. Can you identify the books from their first sentences?

"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen."

"One evening of late summer, before the nineteenth century had reached one-third of its span, a young man and woman, the latter carrying a child, were approaching the large village of Weydon-Priors, in Upper Wessex, on foot."


"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."

"There was no possibility of taking a walk that day."

"They're all dead now."

6 comments:

Robin said...

I don't always comment but I always read your posts. I really appreciate them and I wanted you to know.

xoxo Robin

rawbean said...

Great post! I have no ida on any of these books.

Invisible G. said...

Robin Mc. What a sweet comment! You threw in Austen - cool.

even pretty girls need to read said...

Wuthering Heights is a GREAT follow-up!

Benjamin Madison said...

OK I'll guess a few: "It is a truth...." - Austen - Pride and Prejudice

"one Evening of late summer..." I don't know the book but I'll guess Hardy on this one.

Jabba said...

Claire - Okay, Wuthering Heights (so far) is leaving me with crazy dreams and lots of tension. Could there be a group of more wretched people? Holy crap....

Ben - Yay! You guessed! You are right on the Austen and Hardy - it's Mayor of Casterbridge.
(PS - I'll list the rest in my next post if you're interested.)