Monday, January 26, 2009

Kitchen Psychology

I think you could classify all people into two types when it comes to behavior in the kitchen: organized and unorganized.

I like to think I'm organized. I read over the entire recipe before I start making anything. And I also clean the kitchen as I cook, which is more than I can say for others who will remain nameless. But there are times when I astound myself at my randomness. Like just now.

All I had to do was cut a piece of banana bread*, butter it, make coffee and come in here. Here is the order in which an organized person would tackle this:

1. Make coffee.
2. Open banana bread container and cut a piece. Butter it and put the knife in the dishwasher.

Here is the order I do it:

1. Go to pantry and get one coffee filter. Open banana bread container.
2. Get a plate for banana bread. Get a mug for coffee.
3. Open butter container. Get a knife for butter.
4. Fill coffee maker with water. Cut a piece of banana bread.
5. Go back to pantry and get coffee. Butter slice of banana bread.
6. Put coffee in coffee maker....you get it.

Why does this happen? What are you like in the kitchen? No wonder my cookies never turn out?


***************************
In other kitchen news, Ziggy pushed one of his toy mice under the stove a few weeks ago. When we moved the stove to get it out, we found a whole treasure under there! There were about eight cat toys (all but one from previous tenants), a porcelain fish (?), straws, keys, cutlery....you name it.

*Yes, I do have successes in the kitchen. Here is the recipe, it's easy and tasty.

3 comments:

rawbean said...

Haha....yea what about people like me that just use their kitchen as a means to get to the living room?

Jabba said...

Ha! Ha! Rawbean, you're killin' me today!

Invisible G. said...

Oh my God.. I'm the same way. I'll be boiling water for tea, sweeping the floor, sorta washing the dishes, and be talking to Amelie at the same time. The only thing I wanted was a cup of tea.